Atlanta-based sports have a rich history of triumphs and tribulations, times of epic wins, and of course, epic heartbreaks. You can, however, always count on them to be entertaining! Luckily, for those living or staying in Sandy Springs, there's no shortage of high-quality professional sports going on year-round. Whether you're into football, baseball, basketball, or soccer, you can find it just a short drive or train ride away! We've compiled an overview of what's nearby, and we've included some tips to help you enjoy a worry-free gameday experience.
Atlanta Braves (Baseball)
Coming off a World Series winning campaign, the Atlanta Braves are a hot commodity. They're a team littered with star players, including outfielder Ronald Acuna Jr., third baseman Austin Riley, and pitcher Max Fried, just to name a few. Despite their championship pedigree, ticket prices are still reasonable, so you can go enjoy a game without breaking the bank!
Pro tip: You can pack a clear-gallon ziplock bag with snacks, but be sure to leave some room for a good, old-fashioned ball park hot dog!
Atlanta Falcons (Football)
The Falcons will be in some unfamiliar territory this season with their franchise cornerstone, QB Matt Ryan, now traded away. However, the future is bright for the Falcons, as they have some of the most exciting young prospects in the league with receivers Kyle Pitts and Drake London. Tickets will likely be more affordable than usual this season, so this is a great time to go watch an NFL game in person!
That's not to say the gameday experience isn't fantastic, though! Mercedes-Benz Stadium is one of the most state-of-the-art sporting and entertainment venues in the world! Concession prices are very reasonable, the retractable roof is a sight to behold, and the amenities are second to none. Use this opportunity to go and experience the glorious Mercedes-Benz Stadium and all it has to offer.
Atlanta Hawks (Basketball)
Expectations for the 2022-2023 season are as high as they've ever been for the Atlanta Hawks. Their superstar point-guard Trae Young, power-forward John Collins, and the newly added Dejounte Murray look to break through for a deep playoff run. State Farm Arena has recently gone through a renovation and has become one of the premier arenas in the NBA. Book one of their TopGolf Swing suites equipped with fully functioning golf simulators, or even get yourself a haircut at Killer Mike's barbershop. This is an experience you won't find anywhere else!
Atlanta United FC (Soccer)
The newest of the big four sports teams, Atlanta United FC already boasts a rabid fan base that creates a one-of-a-kind gameday experience. They've already established a standard of excellence, punctuated with their 2018 Major League Soccer (MLS) Cup win, in only their second year of existence! They also continue to set MLS attendance records, with some matches reaching over 70,000 fans!
This squad, like the Falcons, plays their matches in Mercedes-Benz Stadium. If you've never experienced a soccer game in person, this is the perfect chance to see why it's the most popular international sport!
Truist Park (Atlanta Braves)
Despite the name, the Atlanta Braves’ home field, Truist Park, is actually located about ten miles outside of the city in the Cumberland area. The park is a breeze to get to from Sandy Springs, coming in at about 10-30 minutes with no traffic, and about 20-45 minutes during high-traffic times. There's a plethora of parking options around the area, some close, some far, and you can find a full parking map on the Atlanta Braves website.
Rideshare is an ideal option here. Truist Park offers a few convenient pick-up points around the area to help provide a smooth escape from the post-game rush. This also allows you to safely partake in all of the fun the Battery (the food and entertainment district just outside of the stadium) has to offer.
Mercedes-Benz Stadium (Atlanta Falcons and Atlanta United) and State Farm Arena (Atlanta Hawks)
Mercedes-Benz Stadium and State Farm Arena are both in the heart of downtown Atlanta, about 15 miles from Sandy Springs. The drive during high-traffic hours can be a bit of a slog; we highly recommend utilizing MARTA to easily get to and from the Stadium and Arena. For those who are unfamiliar, MARTA, or the Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority, is the train system for the metro-Atlanta area. There are four stations that are in or near the Sandy Springs area: North Springs, Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, and Medical Center. All stations offer free-daily parking, trips only cost $2.50 a piece, and it's much more environmentally friendly than driving!
Getting to the Stadium / Arena
- Ride the Red (Airport) or Gold (Airport) Lines to Five Points Station.
- Transfer for FREE onto either Westbound train: Blue (Hamilton E. Holmes) or Green (Bankhead).
- Ride west for one stop to the GWCC/CNN Center Station.
- Exit and head up the escalator.
Leaving the Stadium / Arena
- Ride the Blue (Indian Creek) or Green (Edgewood/Candler Park) line east to Five Points Station.
- Ride the Red (North Springs) line back to your original destination.
- After about 9pm, the Red line will only run from North Springs Station to Lindbergh Station.
- Ride the Gold (Doraville) line north to Lindbergh Station.
- Transfer over to the Red (North Springs) line from there.
Full map of MARTA's train lines
Where to Watch in Sandy Springs
Tony’s Sports Bar & Grill
Tony's Sports Bar & Grill has over 30 tv's for your viewing pleasure and some delicious pub food to boot!
A mainstay on Roswell Road, Three-Dollar Cafe has some of the best wings in the area and a perfect atmosphere to watch sports!
Springs Cinema & Taphouse
Springs Cinema & Taphouse hosts viewing parties for most major sporting events including the Super Bowl, the Masters, and UFC pay-per-views. You can also rent out a theater to watch a game of your choosing with you and your friends!
Where to Stay
Drive times are approximate*
Westin Atlanta Perimeter North
- 1.2 miles (5 minute drive / 20 minute walk) to Dunwoody MARTA Station
- 0.9 miles (5 minute drive / 19 minute walk) to Medical Center Marta Station
- 14.1 miles (35 minute drive) to Mercedes-Benz Stadium
- 13.5 miles (35 minute drive) to State Farm Arena
- 9.3 miles (25 minute drive) to Truist Park
Fairfield Inn and Suites Atlanta Perimeter Center
- 0.3 miles (2 minute drive / 7 minute walk) to Dunwoody Marta Station
- 14.4 miles (40 minute drive) to Mercedes-Benz Stadium
- 13.8 miles (40 minute drive) to State Farm Arena
- 10 miles (25 minute drive) to Truist Park
Hyatt Place Atlanta / Perimeter Center
- 0.2 miles (2 minute drive / 4 minute walk) to Dunwoody Marta Station
- 18.8 miles (50 minute drive) to Mercedes-Benz Stadium
- 15.3 miles (45 minute drive) to State Farm Arena
- 9.7 miles (30 minute drive) to Truist Park
Hampton Inn Atlanta - Perimeter Center
- 0.9 miles (5 minute drive / 20 minute walk) to Dunwoody Marta Station
- 13.7 miles (45 minute drive) to Mercedes-Benz Stadium
- 13.1 miles (45 minute drive) to State Farm Arena
- 8.9 miles (25 minute drive) to Truist Park
Sonesta Atlanta Northwest Galleria
- 2.8 miles (10 minute drive) to Truist Park
- 14.2 miles (25 minute drive) to Mercedes-Benz Stadium
- 13.6 miles (25 minute drive) to State Farm Arena