The race is the official start to the 34th annual Sandy Springs Festival. This is a chipped timed event so your start time will begin when you step across the start mat. The 10K will start at 7:50 am and the 5K will start at 8am beginning on Mt. Vernon just under the water tower near the intersection of Lake Forrest and Mt. Vernon in front of the Sandy Springs United Methodist Church. The runners will head down Mt. Vernon with a 5K turnaround point, while the 10K runners proceed to Old Powers Ferry and Northside Drive doing a lollipop and returning on Mt. Vernon. The course will be well marked with road chalk, volunteers, traffic cones, and police. The Sandy Springs Lightning is open to both strollers and dog runners but for safety reasons stroller and dog runners will not start until after all runners clear the start line. Proceeds from the race benefit Heritage Sandy Springs Museum and Park, the nonprofit organization that presents the annual Sandy Springs Festival.
Make plans to stay around after the race and participate in the festival - a full day of food, arts, entertainment and just loads of fun for all ages!
The Race Features
- Olympian and first Peachtree Road Race winner Jeff Galloway will be our master of race ceremonies
- Drone will follow runners and broadcast live at the finish line
- Live entertainment on the race course
- Next Level super soft shirts to all entrants with plenty of food and fluids and exhibits after the race.
- Chip timing and professional finish line provided GO Race Productions.
- The course is certified through USATF and therefore a PEACHTREE QUALIFIER!
- Age Group Awards will be given 3 deep for men and women based on 5 year age increments. More details on awards to come!
- Race bib contains a 15% coupon at local Phidippides locations